Class XI Biographies
Inducted in 2019

Major General Lloyd E. Krase



MG Lloyd E. Krase served from the rank of Private to Commander of the 35th Infantry Division (Mech) during a 40-year military career. Wounded twice in Vietnam as an Infantry Platoon Leader, his awards included the Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star w/OLC, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Air Medal, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, and the Combat Infantryman’s Badge. He commanded several Companies, the 1st Battalion, 137th Infantry; the 69th Infantry Brigade; and the 35th Infantry Division (Mech). He served as Chief of Staff for the 35th Division and the Kansas National Guard. He was an expert in infantry tactics and Battalion, Brigade, and Division-level maneuver operations.


Platoon Sergeant Noel R. Long

1919 - 2009


Plat Sgt Noel R. Long served heroically as a Platoon Sergeant in Company F, 137th Infantry, 35th Division, during WW II, and was an active member of the 35th Division Assn. until his death on Sept. 27, 2009 while returning from the 35th Division Conference in Topeka. Mobilized in 1940 with Company F, 137th Infantry, Kansas City, KS, he trained with the 35th Division from then until it’s landing on Omaha Beach, France on July 6, 1944. He became the Platoon Sergeant during the battle of St. Lo and served in that capacity for the rest of his time in combat. He was wounded first in Normandy, then during the Battle of the Bulge on the Rhine Herne Canal, ending his wartime service. He maintained his contacts with his wartime friends for the rest of his life.


Staff Sergeant Frank Holmes



Staff Sgt Frank Holmes was killed in action on Dec. 27, 1944, near Bastogne, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge after six months of combat and four years of service in “doing what he had to do.” Mobilized in 1940 with Company M, 3d Bn, 137th Infantry, as a Machine Gunner, he trained with his unit until they landed on Omaha Beach on July 5, 1944. He was wounded on July 31, 1944 near Torigni sur Vire south of St. Lo during a fierce confrontation with crack German paratroopers, but quickly recovered. He fought through the battles of Normandy and was with his unit when it crossed the Saar and Blies Rivers. He was killed by artillery shrapnel while undergoing heavy enemy fire on Dec. 27, 1944.